4/23/13

Foredom Flexible shaft tool.



My very ancient Flex shaft tool, hanging from it's custom rod and holder. Below it, the variable speed foot control, that has been rewired for longer reach. Image is from just to the side of where I would be standing when working at my bench. This set up allows ready access to the tool, while also being able to get it out of the way.


An image of the board that holds an array of bits, as well as colletts of various sizes. I have accumulated a large collection of bits, ranging from tiny dental burrs, to cut off wheels. I will use the tool sometimes when needing to clean up carving; but the major use is cleaning up, refining and fitting castings for restoration work. Also grinding off nails that have lost their way. Polishing up little bits of this or that. I also use it to quickly grind cutters for my scratch stock.


The handpiece, a duplex spring model that provides more flexibility. To the right is is the cost of that flexibility, the internal spring that drives the cutter. Easy to stress and break, which is why I have an extra. My machine, 1/8 hp, 14,000 rpm max ( I seldom wind it up that fast ), is 30-35 years old, used a lot, and still going strong. Foredom offers a complete line of parts, accessories, etc., even for the discontinued models like mine. Highly recommended, an industrial tool, rather than hobby or consumer tool.

When I acquired mine there were few other options; since then there is some competition, but for a working tool, sometimes running for hours at a time, I would recommend the Foredom.

Burrs, cutters, saws, grind stones, carbide cutters, HSS cutters; there a lot of sources. Dremel has become ubiquitous, and I use a lot of their tools. Dental supply houses are a good source for the tiny burrs I use for cleaning off sprue from castings.


My little corner, where I do a lot of my work, carving grinding ad infinitum. The Foredom tool with the variable speed foot controller.