7/21/13

Basswoods, and Rants.


I'm sorry, I seem to have been side tracked, and have been neglecting the Basswoods. Above. petals and bracts on the street. With careful observation, one might deduce that I live on a street that is paved with bricks. A recent post explains bracts.

And now, a little curmudging from the Hinterlands:

Some rambling rants from the Hinterlands. You might sense a certain, liberal bias, but I’m actually a fiscal conservative. Never could figure out, why the so called conservatives ran up such debt; then a tax and spend liberal could balance the budget, and have surpluses. Must be missing something.

Government, why this hatred for government?  This, " drown it in a bathtub"?   Safe food, and water?Paved streets? Police and Fire protection? National defense? Weather warning systems? Well, Grover, back in my youth, there was a saying, "love it or leave it". I just don't get it, hating government from folks who proclaim themselves  "patriots". Yes, I know there are excesses and overreaches, but let's move on, cause I seem to be missing something.

Ahh, Unions. So, how many in favor of no limits on hours worked per day? Hours per week? Benefits? Nah, you don't need benefits, we, your employers will take care of you. And, if business is slow, well, you
could work for less pay, to help us out? Ohh, you’re hurt? You're fired,must have been doing something wrong. Ever hear of company script,that could only be used at the company store? Oh children, you should read some history. But,again, I seem to be missing something; moving on.

Detroit and the auto industry. Not much is ever mentioned about a huge problem; we all drive toyotas and hondas now. I know, they make em here, in non union plants, cause we all think unions are evil. Where do the profits go? Again, I seem to be missing something. And, along these lines, when much younger, I couldn't understand Jewish people, driving Mercedes Benzes, sending profits to people, who in some cases, literally tried to exterminate them. Must be missing something.

Race? The President gave a very nice little speech, talk the other day, in which he very gently tried to explain what it is to be an African male. Mostly, the rabid, right wing attack dogs left it alone, though there are always exceptions. Some egregious exceptions. The more “foamy at the mouth’’ ones are saying racism is over in America. Say What? I’m sorry, but I’ve already had some issues with my “African, Catholic, Jewish” kid, and with my “Chinese Catholic” kid. Not to mention the Polish, Lithuanian stuff. John Scalzi, well known author, has written a nice piece, somewhat on this  subject:  So, if you’re a straight, white, male,  ..... maybe you should  ....  shut up.