3/31/12

Process, series, sequence wrong.



The previous post is out of sequence, as this is the first step, except ... maybe ... well ... going to the lumber yard. And prior to that, someone needs to order a frame ...

Above photo is crosscutting a board. Shorter pieces are easier to mill and flatten with minimal loss of material. Since I only need half of the board I can either cut one short, but wide piece into two narrow pieces, or I can cut one long, narrow piece into two shorter pieces ...

The board is clamped to the bench, with a support stand at the end of the piece being cut off, and me holding the board as it's sawed. 




This board is being marked with a chalk line before cutting it in two, as I only need half the board. However, after snapping the chalk line ( the yellow and black device sitting on the bottom of the board is a chalk line, a spool of line in a compartment full of powdered chalk, with a hook on the end of the line. The line is unreeled, pulled taut, then picked up and snapped against the board, leaving a long, straight line.) I decided that there was to much "bend" in the board, and am going to cut it in half crosswise.If I was cutting it length wise, the next step would be to set up the work support equal to the band saw height, then rip the board in half with the bandsaw.